The TemplateWhat you will need for this size cake.Three receiving blankets, or two blankets and one burp cloth.About 30 diapers... 10" round cake board, cake ruffle. Cake should measure 10" Round and 12" High. Bottom layer should be 5" tall, second layer should be 4 1/2" tall and top layer should be 4" tall. Have Fun!
Step one: Lay blanket down inside out facing you. This blanket is 30 by 30... This will give you a 10" round cake.
(2)Fold blanket in half... starting from the side facing you. Bring edges together. You can always pick up the blanket and fold in half. Smooth out blanket.
(3) Take the folded half on top and bring it to the middle trowards you, smooth out.
(4)Now take the bottom half and pull it up over the folded middle..Template should now be all one piece.
(5)Flip the whole template over now you will see the inside of the cake. Bring to ends together and use safety pins one on top , one on bottom, see pick below.
(6)This is what your template should look like.Make sure your ends meet evenly and not overlapping on this size because it's only 30x30. Other's will need to be overlapping but will be explained later.
(7)Take one of your cake boards and stand template up on the board. With the safety pins in back.
(8) Try to take this time to smoooth out wrinkels, adjust safety pins so they are straight up and down in the back off cake... Take your hands and push out the sides to make it much more rounder from the inside out motions.
(9) Begin with lining diapers in a single form, see pic. You can roll them if you wish. You will want to continue lining inside of cake with diapers.
(10)As you are putting the diapers in push from the inside out to form cake.Try to fill in any spaces with diapers as you do this.You want to make this real tight.
(11) For the middle you can take rolled diapers to make this a nice fit. You can also use shred to fill in this spot.
CONGRATS!!! Your first layer is complete !!! You can at this time shape cake some more till you like the results.
Making the cake!
(12) To make the second layer follow steps on page one.You can use a blanket in the size of 28x28 then you would not have to overlap ends. If using 30x30 make sure you bring one end of template in fruther.Holding template in one hand stand template up and bring in one end, take tape measure and measure cake(round part) run your tape measure over the top from side to side. Should be right at 7".Pin ends and this will take about 10 diapers. Tip~ measure this template at 5" in height before pinning template.
(13) The Top! The top will measure about 4 1/2 "... To get this.. you will use the same steps but you will fold one of the side in one more time.When done bring in one end about 4" and then roll the rest of template, untill you can stand it up and measure. You can always use a burp cloth which would be easier:)Tip~ measure this template at 4" in height before pinning template
(14) After you have pinned your template, stand the template back up and adjust cloth inside...Depending on what you used for the blanket, it could take from 2 diapers to five diapers.
(15) Here you have the finished top... You should leave enough room for the bottle to fit tightly in the center, or you may stick the bottom part of a teddy bear (5' Teddy) and omit bottle. It's up to you!:)
(16)Inserting bib~It's so simple! :) See picture... center bib in the middle of bottom layer.
Example of centering.
Stuff ties of bib and top part of bib.. in between blanket and diapers, you can use tape too! Just use two sided tape and stick on the back of bib.
Congrats !!!! You made your very first cake:) Now see that wasn't so hard right?
Example of how I decorated my cakes, have fun and use whatever works for you! Stick Rattles and items in between diapers , blankets .... wherever you find room.